Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Texture Ball - (DIY Home Decor)


Another favorite school project of mine was the texture ball and was done at the very beginning of my freshman year at college.

The Project:  Take a Styrofoam ball and cover it in whatever material you want that would show tactile texture but also be visually pleasing and interesting.

It was really cool to see what some people came up with.  For mine I used small Christmas Bulbs and took the the tops off (the part where the hook goes).  I glued them on with hot glue and filled the negative space with colored saran wrap.  I didn't have to glue the saran wrap.  I just took a small amount and with a sewing pin just shoved it into the space.  It was so simple to make but made such a statement.

With Valentines Day just around the corner I'm thinking this would have made an excellent topiary piece or one that just stands alone on a mantle.  What do you think?

I also had the thought that this would be a fun "Challenge Project."  The idea would be that bunch of us bloggers would all try to come up with our own texture ball and then in the end have a parade of all the different designs.  If you're interested in participating email me at info@sarahdawndesigns.com .  

4 comments:

  1. I love this! In NJ it is so hard to buy styrofoam balls for some reason.. none of the craft supply stores have them.. : (

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so weird Crystal, I wonder why. You can always order online I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that. For Christmas 2011 I made a wreath for my front door using multi-coloured Christmas balls and I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a fun idea for Valentine's! Thanks for sharing!

    If you're interested, we're hosting our first ever link up party. Please stop by and link up! http://www.waywardgirlscrafts.com/2012/01/wayward-weekend-week-1.html

    ReplyDelete