Wednesday, February 13, 2013

DIY Mugs - Meet the Moustache World


I should have shown you these DIY Mugs a long time ago!  Seriously.  I joined the moustache world a couple of years ago when coming up with gift ideas for the husband.  Like a lot of other men he has hopped onto that bandwagon only I don't really like REAL moustaches so he mostly just dreams of the moustaches he could grow.  Since I am a total dream killer I thought these diy mugs would make the perfect gift as he also loves hot chocolate.  Best of both worlds.  He thought they were awesome, at least that is what he told me.


If you are in need of any "manly" craft diy ideas these mugs are super easy and fairly inexpensive.

Supplies Needed:

-Stackable Mugs (I got mine from World Market)
-Ceramic Paint
-Paint Brush
-Rubbing Alcohol
-Paper Towel
-Stencil (I made mine and I'll tell  you how below)

Supplies Needed for a DIY Stencil:

-Silhouette Machine (or digital cutting machine)
-Contact Paper (Michaels)


Step 1:  If you don't have a moustache stencil you can make your own.  I downloaded several moustache designs from Silhouette's online store and sized them to fit onto my mugs.  I cut my contact paper to be 13" x 12" to fit the size of my Silhouette machine.  (My contact paper is clear so look closely at the photo to see it)

*Note I used the blade setting for regular vinyl with a speed of 8 and a thickness of 3.  It cut my contact paper like a dream*

Step 2:  Clean your mugs with hot water and then use rubbing alcohol and a paper towel on the surface where you will place the moustache.  This is important to help your paint bond to the ceramic properly.

Step 3:  Place your stencil onto your mugs.  The nice thing about making your own is that the contact paper sticks to the mugs on its own.  Make sure all inside edges are smooth and sealed tight.  With my rubbing alcohol paper towel I brushed my mug again where the moustaches would go since my fingers got all over the inside while placing my stencils on.  

Step 4:  Paint 2-3 coats of paint on the mug.  

*This is where it is good to read the instructions on your paint bottle.  I used the Americana Gloss Enamels paint (found in the acrylic section of your craft store).  I allowed one hour in between coats.  Then my bottle of paint  instructs that I let it dry for 4 days after which I bake it for 30 minutes at 325 degrees in a non heated oven.  Let it cool down in the oven with the door open.  Supposedly after that it is dishwasher safe in the top rack.  Most paints suggest you allow 21 days for it to properly cure before using it.  While this paint doesn't it wouldn't hurt. * 


The first time I made these DIY mugs I didn't take the time to properly clean the ceramic so the moustaches came off after going through the dishwasher.  I have just redone my mugs and will come back and let you know if I ran into the same problem after the paint is baked and cured.  If it does... they still make a great piece of kitchen decor :)

Have you joined the moustache world?

30 comments:

  1. John totally laughed because I, like you, don't REALLY like real mustaches, but I love the mustache fad! ;) Cute mugs! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my..... These are so adorable. When I saw the picture at a linky party tit immediately brought a smile to my face. So cute!
    I bet your family LOVES using them....

    hugs x
    crystelle
    http://www.crystelleboutique.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great! One of the best mustache things I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My granddaughter would love these cups. I would love for you to share them at my link party at http://www.memoriesbythemile.com/
    xoxox
    Wanda Ann @ Memories by the Mile

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! These would make such a great gift for someone... great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are adorable! Thanks so much for linking up to Falling For Friday! http://bit.ly/14WOPtw

    just love // kelly

    ReplyDelete
  7. these are too cute! love that you made all the moustaches different!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh gosh I love them! I like that there is a different design on each one and the whole stacking thing... brilliant!!! Thanks for linking up with us Sarah and supporting the first Falling for Friday!! I hope to see you back!

    xo
    Dawnelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great. I have been wanting to make something like this. Thanks! I totaly pinned it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are just so cute! Coffee always makes me smile, but I imagine seeing these mugs hanging in the kitchen would make me smile even more.

    I'd love if you'd come join my How To Tuesday link party, too.
    http://housewifehowtos.com/link-party-2/how-to-tuesday-link-party-9/

    - Katie B. of HousewifeHowTos.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these mugs, so fun! You have been featured! I would love for you to stop by and grab a feature button! http://www.thecraftyblogstalker.com/2013/02/blog-stalking-thursday-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. this are really cute! just saw this on Ginger Snap Crafts! misselayneousthings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are so stinkin' cute!! Thanks for sharing how you made them. I mustache you (insert sheepish grin) to link up at this week's Off the Hook!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are so cute. I have a friend I think needs a set. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Adorable - found them at Ginger Snap Crafts and have them pinned! Love your designs (got your site bookmarked!)

    kyra@ caramelpotatoes.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sarah these are so adorable! Would love for you to share at the party! Newest Follower! xo Bridgett

    http://www.osiemoats.com/2013/02/link-up-party-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sarah, Thanks so much for sharing this cute post at Simple & Sweet Fridays. Love the moustache mugs!

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cute and I will be interested to hear if they hold up!

    Thank you for partying with the Wildly Original Crowd.
    <3 Christina at I Gotta Create!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for linking up at One Creative Weekend. I pinned and shared your post on Google+, and I'll be featuring you tomorrow! Please come grab a featured button and link up anything new you'd like to share at OneCreativeMommy.com.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Too adorable! Love em!

    Jenna @ http://rainonatinroof.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOVE!! Stopping in from the Financial Friday Link list. Pinning this!

    http://bestlifemistake.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. haha cute! I love that you did a few different kinds of moustaches!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So cute! I pinned it. Little Bit from www.DecorateWithaLittleBit.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for sharing at Fluster's Creative Muster. I'm looking forward to seeing what you link up next week.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love mustaches and these mugs!

    ReplyDelete
  26. LOVE! LOVE! Love this Sara. Thank you soooo much for sharing XX Dani

    ReplyDelete